Wednesday, November 9, 2011

John's Roast Pork

The History


John's Roast Pork (also known as John's Lunch, The Snyder Avenue Lunch Bar, and the Shack) has been on the corner of Weccacoe and Snyder Avenue since 1930 and has been a family business for three generations according to their website.  There really isn't much history listed on the Internet, so it was hard for me to find information on John's, but let me tell you, the cheesesteaks are to die for!


The "Steak"


John's Roast Pork has various ways that you can order your steak, from adding banana peppars, sharp provolone, to long-hots, they will even add ketchup to your steak!  Let me first off say that they definitely have the meatiest cheesesteak I have ever had, I thought Chink's had the biggest steak, I was wrong.  John's Roast Pork by far adds the most meat to their steaks.  I ordered the a large cheesesteak with American cheese, and no onions, I'm not sure what the steak is seasoned with, but It definitely had a distinct taste, very juicy.  The roll was perfect, similar to a Sarcone's roll, the outside of the roll almost being crispy, and you cant beat the sesame seeds, which add an extra flare to the already perfect cheesesteak.


Now the only downside are John's Roast Pork's hours, they are open Monday-Friday 6:45am-3:00pm, and let me tell you, there is a huge lunch crowd!  I loved John's customer service, yelling out to customers in line, asking if they are ordering roast pork, or cheesesteaks, then yelling your name out when your steak is ready asking if you would like ketchup or peppers added to your all ready jam-packed steak.  They fold the cheese, whether you order American or Provolone, into the steak as it is still hot, so it melts into the meat making the steak tase all the more wonderful! 

Now the name of the place is John's Roast Pork, so if their cheesesteak are good, then the roast pork must be amazing.  The Roast Pork is completely homemade.  They use top-choice pork and bone the meat right on the premises.  The pork is seasoned according to an old family recipe and is roasted in their commercial oven daily.  Some time soon I will make a trip to John's for their famous Roast Pork sand which, stay tuned.



2 comments:

  1. I think that they have the best roll! It only adds to the deliciousness of the cheesesteak!

    ReplyDelete